Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Zero Confidence

Photobucket

I just returned from voting well, sort of.

I went to the polling place stated on my sample ballot which was:

ROOM B VETERANS MEMORIAL BUILDING
4117 OVERLAND AV CULVER CITY 90230

I have voted at the Veteran's Building since moving to Culver City four years ago.

I was informed at the Veteran's Bldg, that there had been a mix up and that my polling place was now at the Culver City Library.

When I arrived at the library to vote, I was told that I wasn't on their list either.

The poll workers gave me the option of voting provisionally or calling the Registrar of Voters to confirm my polling place. Wanting my vote to be counted tonight, I called the Registrar's office and they listed my polling place as the Veteran's Memorial Building.

Out of options, I was forced to vote provisionally or not vote at all despite having been registered to vote for years and not having moved since the last election.

When I returned home I double checked the Registrar of Voters website, which listed my polling place as:

VETERANS MEMORIAL BUILDING - ROOM D
4117 OVERLAND AV CULVER CITY 90230

Note the website (room D) and sample ballot (room B) had different room numbers. Room D was closed and empty. The poll workers in room B sent me to the library.

Adding to the confusion, I received notification on 11/6/07, stating that my polling place had changed to:

KING FAHAD MOSQUE SIDE BLDG-ROOM
11004 WASHINGTON BL CULVER CITY

Since my sample ballot came after the above notice and listed the Veteran's Bldg, I headed there.

At this point I have no confidence that my vote will be counted. I imagine that some people who are told to go to another polling place simply give up and go home especially if they've already fought rush hour traffic to get to the polls. The entire experience left me with serious doubts as to the fairness of elections.

According to my provisional voter receipt:

"Your ballot will be counted if the Registrar's Office establishes your eligibility ti vote."

"If you would like to know if your ballot was counted, please call . . . no sooner than 40 days after the election."

5 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger Freak Politics said...

you have to file a formal complaint with the Secretary of State's office. CC the LA County elections office, the DNC, state Democratic Party and the Obama and Clinton campaigns.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Freak Politics said...

you were probably targeted because the state party loves Frau Pantsuits and you are in Obamama's demographic. Talk about smart bombed!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger james said...

though sarah and i re registered in time, received confirmation from the registar of our new poling spot we still had to vote provisionally as well, bastards i tell ya

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Why should your vote count ya dead beat. Everyone in this country thinks they're entitled to the right to vote...I say fuck that. Any polling place that wants to tell you to take your vote else where should be able to do just that. You think you should have the right to vote just because you're white. Ha I say no way Jose. You go and put your life on the line for this country and maybe than I'll ENTERTAIN the notion of you being allowed a vote that counts. Shit in one hand and hope in the other, you tell me which hand fills up first.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Why should your vote count ya dead beat. Everyone in this country thinks they're entitled to the right to vote...I say fuck that. Any polling place that wants to tell you to take your vote else where should be able to do just that. You think you should have the right to vote just because you're white. Ha I say no way Jose. You go and put your life on the line for this country and maybe than I'll ENTERTAIN the notion of you being allowed a vote that counts. Shit in one hand and hope in the other, you tell me which hand fills up first.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home