Friday, July 14, 2006

the way life should be



Woman cuts 1984 car in half,awing spectators in Bangor
Friday, July 14, 2006 - Bangor Daily News

I got choaked up.


When she was 3, her father cut a boxcar lengthwise at a Super Bowl party in Miami, Breton recalled. The 95-minute ordeal was her first memory in life.

"I've always looked up to him," Breton said as she strapped blue kneepads over her jeans, prepping herself for the incision. "I'm really excited about following in his footsteps."

==========================

The first job I had as a kid was delivering the Bangor Daily News. Lots of cold early mornings. I rode my bike from one end of town to the other. There was one lady who never cleaned up the dog crap on her front lawn. I had to bring the paper to the door. Winter wasn't so bad but a wet summer morning, oh man. I had to cross a construction yard to a point of land to deliver one guy's paper. He had a german pointer that like to bite at my ankles or my ass if I was off the bike. Years later, everytime the dog's owner saw me at the restaurant I was working at he slapped me on the back and gave me a five dollar bill. I never met a few of the customers. They were never there when I dropped off the paper and they left the money in a cup in the doorway every week. I wonder if they knew as little about me as I them. I spent most of the money on basketball cards. The cards are now worth more than I ever made slinging papers.

2 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger Shanti and Aimee said...

still got your b-ball cards? I bet those bird and jordan cards are worth some.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Freak Politics said...

I used to deliver the Daily Hampshire Gazette. In the winter I went out Saturday mornings on x-country skis!!! Through rain and sleet and snow...

"Neither rain, nor sleet, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home