Monday, July 28, 2008

Football Jones

Photobucket

I had to get a football fix this weekend so I went to the Dallas Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, CA. Oxnard is about an hour and a half north of LA. I took the 405 north to the 101 north. The training facility (River Ridge Field) is less than a mile from the highway.

Parking was $10 for passenger cars and $20 for oversized vehicles. Entrance to the camp itself is free. The 'capper pass got me preferred parking right next to the field.

I watched the Defensive Linemen and Linebackers hit the sled before moving over to the main field to watch the offense and defense go at it without their lines.

Photobucket
Defensive Linemen

Photobucket
Chris Canty (On the left, listed at 6'7", 304 pounds) is a large man.

Photobucket
Kicker Nick Folk (6). He was my fantasy football kicker last year. I know, no one cares but me.

Photobucket
Bum Phillips' kid. Tracy Phillips' father

Photobucket
Kick off coverage

Photobucket
Adam "Don't call me Pacman" Jones (DB, 21).

The crowd got excited when Terrel Owens lined up against Pacman with Tony Romo (QB) throwing. TO beat Pacman to make the grab.

Photobucket
Terrel Owens

Half of Romo's throws were to Terrel Owens. TO had several nice grabs. He recovered a Romo interception in traffic after it was bobbled by the defensive back.

Photobucket
All three Dallas networks were represented.

Jason Whitten (TE) was on the opposite side of the field from me so I didn't get a close look at him but he did have a few receptions from Romo.

The area around the running backs was crowded so I only saw Marion Barber (RB) briefly.

I didn't see Zach Thomas (LB). Honestly, I wasn't looking for the former Dolphin. I had forgotten that he signed with the Cowboys.

Backup quarterback Brad Johnson who is in his 17th season threw a lot of passes early in the session.

Wide receiver Terry Glenn was listed on the roster but cut by the Cowboys last week after refusing to add an injury clause to his contract. Provided he's healthy and remains so, some team is gonna get a very good receiver. I wonder if the Eagles are interested?

Fearing Sunday afternoon traffic on the 405 south, I cut off of the 101 south at Kanen Dune road. Kanan Dune slices right through the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area en route to the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway).

I made it home in time for the Red Sox Yankees game.

The Cowboys training camp runs through Tuesday, August 12th. Check the Cowboy's Training Camp page for a schedule.

Quotables:


When the linebackers took their turn at the sled one guy kept shouting, "Let's go Ware! Superbowl bound!"

Father to his son:

"See that Nathan? They hustle the whole time; no slackin." Little Nathan was eight or nine. He's sure to duct tape an innocent in the high school locker room someday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home