Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Certificate of Birth

Should it be that easy !?

I gave out a mental groan when I realized I didn't have an original copy of my Certificate of Birth and that I was going to have to track one down. I got the phone number to the Town Clerk's office in Concord, MA (Yes that's right concord/lexington, minutemen, the shot heard around the world, mr. thoureau's cabin, all that great birth of a nation stuff)and told the voice on the other end what I needed.

Hi, I need to get a copy of my birth certificate.

OK, It's 15 dollars.
Will you be picking it up?

No, I live out of state & I'm disabled. I'll probably have a relative pick it up for me.

OK, we'll have it waiting for them.
What is your name, let me look it up and make sure we have it.

Carl M. Ferry

OK, we have it.

And that'll be a certified copy.

Yes, with the raised seal, (mumble) you can take it and . . .

Great, Thanks.

You're welcome.

Click

I called my aunt & uncle and asked them to pick up the certificate, which they did today without any problem. Should it be that easy to get a certified copy of a birth certificate!? I'm not paranoid about identity theft but I don't need a news expose to show me how easy it is. The birth certificate is the mother of all documents. Other documents are made from it. Starting with the social security department(for which I needed the cert.) which begets liscenses, passports etc.

But what do you show to proove you and the name on the certificate are the same person?

Come to think of it there really is nothing to connect me to the certificate besides a bunch of documents that were generated based on this sheet of paper which has nary a picture or print. Where are the dam foot and handprints!
------------------------------------------------------------

On tothe document itself:

I finally have the affirmation I've been seeking. I am in fact, according to line 3 a male. Sheww - good I've been buying the right underware and checking the right box all these years. I am a little concerned about what's missing from the document. Line 3 has additional questions, "Color and if Twin". No color was filled in, though if I could choose it would say purple and there is no indication if I was a twin or not. Jesus I could have a brother or sister running around that I don't even know.

Interestingly, line seven of the certificate lists the father's occupation. Thankfully the line read U.S. Navy & not exotic dancer or petty thief

1 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Blogger Shanti and Aimee said...

hum- maybe we need to start tatooing birth certificates on to our selves- reserve a part of the body for id purposes only...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home